Friday, July 18, 2008

Published again, etc, etc, etc.....




Fabulous news...my work has been published again! Janet's (Shabbyfufu.com) beautiful and fabulous home was featured in the latest issue of Romantic Country Magazine and some of my tags were used in one of the photos. Needless to say that all of my friends and relatives were thrilled to see my work in print again (as was I). Thank you so much Janet!

We spent July 4th at my Mom and Step dad's lake house (no beaches near here!). It only takes about an hour to get there so my Mom and Step dad are there every other weekend or so. We try to go there when we can but it's not often enough! I love to sit on the deck and just just look at the lake..there is something so peaceful about it. My daughter loves to swim and all of the older kids take turns driving the golf cart around the property.

My daughter and her friend jumping from the dock. My Aunt told them not to jump from the dock anymore because that's where the catfish and snakes like to hang out...yikes!


My sister, Jenny, made this pretty Strawberry Cream Cake. It tastes as good as it looks! It's a Martha Stewart recipe and one can't go wrong with Martha Stewart recipes!

Strawberry Cream Cake Recipe link:

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=9760a247aea4a110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default



Yummy Broccoli Slaw (made my moi) and delicious potato salad (made by Mom using my my Grandma Signe's family recipe). The Broccoli slaw recipe was given to our family from a lady at our church. Notice the plastic container...no one is "fancy" down at the lake..it's all about being practical! :-)


Broccoli Slaw Recipe
2 bags broccoli slaw (usually near the bagged salad at the grocery store)
1 c. chopped green onions
1 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. slivered almonds
2 packages Ramen Noodles-Oriental flavor-crushed small (yes, ramen noodle :-)

dressing:
1 c. oil (your choice, I use canola)
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
2 seasoning packets from Ramen

In a large bowl mix the slaw, onions, seeds, nuts and crushed noodles (uncooked).
Blend dressing ingredients in saucepan and heat to dissolve the sugar. When cool, pour over the first mixture and chill several hours or overnight stirring occasionally. Enjoy!

I couldn't resist taking a photo of my nephew wearing his cute new hat!



I've been busy. A custom order for a jewelry designer: 25 Cards and 50 tags. So chic!

A custom order of 25 First Communion goody bags for a customer at Shabbyfufu:

Last Friday my daughter, my Mom and I went to the annual book sale at the Sims Library in Waxahachie, Texas. I've been going to this library since I was a little girl and I have a lot of fond memories there. We don't go to this library anymore because we don't live in Waxahachie at this time (but I miss it!). I haven't been there in a few years but when I walked into the library it pretty much looked the same and still had the same familiar smell...an old books/historic building smell. When I first got my driver's license I would drive myself to the library during the summertime and check out lots of books to read. I could spend hours strolling down the aisles looking for something interesting to read. I always checked out romance books, mystery books, home decorating books, books on entertaining, fashion books, books about Paris and more. When my kids were younger we went to the library every week and participated in the Summer Reading Club program. They still love to read!

My daughter looking for a good book!


Uhhhhh...what? No, I didn't buy this book!!! :-)

I think my daughter and I purchased about 15 books and my Mom purchased just as many (all books were $1-2 each). Sandra Brown and Karen Robards are must have books for me, although I think I may have read some of the Sandra Brown and Karen Robards books that I purchased (my memory must be going in my old age, lol!). My Mom and I share books so we were constantly asking each other, "Have we read this book?". Sometimes two heads are not better than one because she couldn't remember what we've read either!

A few of the books I purchased:
I am currently reading this book, "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle and it's very interesting. It's an older book from 1991 but if you can find it, I definitely recommend it!
My daughter and I did a little shopping at Big Lots recently but I didn't buy too much. I don't seem to find too much at our local Big Lots anymore. I think the selection was better when they first opened but I saw a few fabulous things:

I'm usually a little leary of buying food at Big Lots but I gotta buy these Swedish cookies whenever I can find them. They are thin and crisp gingerbread type cookies that are delicious with a cold glass of milk!

I am considering these lanterns for my daughter's bedroom:
These wall plaques are cute:
Fabulous gift box with a silk flower on top!
I am desperately trying to find a place to put these boxes in my kitchen...love them!

Have a fabulous weekend!
~Julie~

8 comments:

Jen ~ ARTful Dreamer said...

Girl, you have been busy - busy!!! I'm hoping to get back into reading a book every week. Thanks so much for everything Julie - you really are FABULOUS!!!! Your creations are beautiful and you deserve much more recognition for your unique designs - congrats!!! Have fun decorating your home and may your business keep booming :~)

Angela said...

Thank you for sharing with us. Congratulations on your work being in print. That cake looks too yummy!!!! Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us!
*HUGS*
Angela

Angie(quillysilly) said...

Of course you were published again...you are after all FABULOUS!! You have been a busy girl! Funny you should mention snakes...we just chased a 3 footer out of the backyard!

I missed the book sale...I can't believe it!! My kiddies are doing the summer reading program right now, earning tickets for the carnival. Chat with you later!

Amy-Razz Pizazz Boutique said...

theres sooo much good stuff on here, it's hard for me to comment on all of it :-) Congrats on being published again...you never cease to amaze me! The cake look amazing, I am drooling on my key board... kidding, lol! The book, oh my gosh, cannot believe there is something like that out there?? Weird! Your custom orders are fabulous, SO YOU! Hope all is well in your new home, can't wait for more photos!
xxxooo
Amy

Fabulous Finds Studio said...

Thanks for the congrats everyone:-)

lachambrerose said...

Congrats! Oh, where to start...peeked in and couldn't leave! I have fabric that has been through 4 moves, also. And, we are waiting on a decision, next week?, on a move to Austin. (Say a prayer for me, Vermont, not so good for this southern girl.) Love everything. Would really love to add your blog link to mine. I think my readers would be in heaven, too.

Sherry said...

You are a busy, busy woman!!! I'm so thrilled you are in another magazine and can't wait to get my copy! The time at the lake looked like so much fun -- I too love to just sit and look at water -- there is something so peaceful about it and I wonder all the time why I don't live on a water property?!? The recipes look yummy and will definitely be tried..and reading?!? My other love -- I spend way too much time and money on books and reading but I can't think of a better pasttime!!! I read Peter Mayle's book and loved it!!

The Quintessential Magpie (Sheila) said...

Julie, you are one talented lady! Thanks so much for sharing with us. This blog is great!

I came over from Rhoda's (I have the Victorian in St. Augustine) to say thanks for the nice feedback on her blog! I truly appreciate it.

Can't wait to see the rest of your blog. I'm really enjoying it so far, and from what I've read so far, yes, I can see you being published!

All the best,

Sheila