Monday, March 9, 2009

Hawaii or bust!!

It's competition season for my daughter's drill team so it's been really hectic around our home. Three competitions down and one more to go...in fabulous Hawaii! And, yes, I'm going to Hawaii with my daughter...we are sooooooo ecstatic! We have been finishing up last minute details and will be leaving soon for a week in paradise. We are really excited since this will be our first trip to Hawaii (I probably won't want to come home :-)!!

Savannah was jumping for joy (literally) because she didn't have mono or the flu, it was just some kind of virus. Thank you everyone for your kind words and prayers, they were greatly appreciated! I am so fortunate to have such loving friends and family members! Savannah had to drop out of 2 of the 4 dances at the first competition and also her Solo but was added back to all 4 dances for the 2ND competition. She will be performing her lyrical Solo in Hawaii.


Savannah performing in the Jazz routine.

The girls have done extremely well at the competitions so far (including 4Th place overall out of 43 teams at one competition)!


We re-decorated the drill team locker room for competition season. The theme is "Under the Sea" but I chose to decorate with a Hawaiian theme. I envisioned a window (with a view to the ocean) with a bench in front of it. I used a grass skirt for a "window valance". I packed her present in a green sand pail. I used pink terry cloth fabric on the bench pad and "valance". Here is Savannah's dressing area:


The cute felt flip flops are from Hobby Lobby. I use them as curtain tie backs (along with some raffia).


The "relax" sign is from Joanns. I painted it tan and then sprinkled some real sand on it. Then I added all of the embellishments.





I decoupaged the picture frame with Hawaiian paper and embellished it.




The paper lantern, silk flowers and "sand castles" are from Dollar Tree. The sand castles are actually church figurines that I painted a tan color. Then I sprinkled real sand on them. I'm always improvising!

I am not allowing comments on this post since I am leaving for my trip soon but I really hope you and your family have a fabulous Spring Break!
~Julie~