Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fire...not so fabulous...

Last November my sister, Jen, and I decided to rent space in a local Antique Store.  I decided to sell my handmade goods and my sister decided to sell the pottery that her and her husband make.  It didn't last very long!  On January 18, 2011 there was a devastating fire in historic downtown Waxahachie, TX.  The fire started at the 1879 Chisholm Grill Restaurant and spread to nearby buildings (including the Antique Store).   My sister called me that morning and told me to turn on the television.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  I watched as the fire spread and spread.  Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt in the fire and all store owners are planning to rebuild.  A lot of history was lost that day as the restaurant and downtown area was used during the filming of several movies.  My sister lost most of her merchandising pieces but it looks like her pottery is fine.  I lot about 80% of my merchandise due to smoke and water damage.  Insurance claims have been filed but it won't make up for all the time I spent making the merchandise.  My artwork is very personal to me and it kills me to see everything ruined.  I will survive, LOL!  

You can read the full story here and also watch the news video:

{All photos copyright 2011 Fabulous Finds Studio/Boutique and J Studio Designs}
The day after the fire.  The restaurant is on the end (right side).

Cleaning up my "booth" after the fire.

Everything was dirty and nasty!
Some of my sister and brother-in-law's pottery.
The antique store  had mostly smoke and water damage. The attic burned.  What a mess!

Anyway, I'm moving on.  There's nowhere to go but up from here :)
Have fabulous day!
~Julie~

2 comments:

Mitzi Curi said...

Julie, I would be absolutely devastated if I lost my creations in a fire! You seem to have a great attitude and the energy to start over. Best of luck to you, and I hope you are able to create a space of your dreams, even better than before!

Tereza Crump aka MyTreasuredCreations said...

so true... there is no way but up from here!!! Rom 8:28 is my favorite verse for all this stuff that happens that one can't explain. thanks for stopping by my blog.