Monday, January 30, 2012

Goin' Shabby Chic...Rachel Ashwell Style




It seems like I always disappear from blogging during the Holiday Season.  I'm sorry about that!  Each year the Holidays seem to be busier and busier for me and I think I have a harder time pulling everything together the older I get!  Yikes, am I getting old?
Last year, I decided to do a little re-decorating and decided to jump on the "all white decor revolution".  You can read some of those posts here {featuring my old home}:
http://fabulousfindsstudio.blogspot.com/2011/03/wonderful-white-wednesday_23.html
http://fabulousfindsstudio.blogspot.com/2011/03/wonderful-white-wednesday.html
http://fabulousfindsstudio.blogspot.com/2011/02/white-inspiration-for-my-family-room.html

After we moved into military housing I started decorating in an all cream theme with black accents and just a few touches of color (no pics to share).  The walls in my current home are off-white and the trimwork is cream.  Everything is neutral and there isn't much character to this townhome (even though it was build in the 1950's).  The all cream color scheme just wasn't working for me, it was way too bland.  I found these Waverly curtains when I was unpacking.  They were in a Guest Room a few years ago and I couldn't get rid of them because I've always loved that print.  I decided to use them in my dining area and was happy for a little while...then I decided I was tired of the color scheme I was using of cream, reds, blues, and touches of black (I've been using those colors for years and years).



So guess what? I'm re-decorating again (keep in mind I moved to this home in May of 2011).  This home seems so drab to me so I decided what I really need is a pop of color and I want to have more pure white than off-white (walls will stay the same color).  I've always had a little Shabby Chic in my home over the years (my studio in my last home was shabby chic and I loved it.   Shown here: 
http://fabulousfindsstudio.blogspot.com/2008/08/i-will-be-featured-in-my-local.html

I started thinking about all the homes that I was the happiest living in and all of those houses had light colors!  I had the mauve, dusty blues and greens, etc. back in the 1990's and lots of cottage colors in the late 1990's and early 2000's (light yellow, sage green, rose, blue). I even had a peach colored bedroom back in the 1980's.   I realized that those light colors really uplifted me so I'm going Shabby Chic.  Probably more French Shabby Chic, not toooo rustic...

Some of my inspiration:





























I've been hitting the antique stores over the last few weeks and have found some really good things!  I can't wait to show you.
I hope you will follow me along on my not-so-shabby re-decorating journey!
Have a fabulous day!
~Julie~



Follow Me on Pinterest


2 comments:

vintageandart said...

What a gorgeous post, Rachel is such an inspiration isn't she and Simply Me is one of my fave blogs also....l too am always redecorating (can we blame the creative gene:-))though your dining room looks fabulous with those curtains and the walls are a lovely light colour... Have a wonderful rest of your week.

Cindy said...

Ohhhh, i will so be following! Love the look you're going for!

Cindy